As the seven centers of energy that support our physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing, chakras can easily become imbalanced. Any time our emotions are out of whack, our bodies are sick or injured, or we are suffering from mental blocks or illnesses, a little chakra balancing can go a long way to welcoming the right type of energy back into the body.
There are some very simple and easy ways to balance your chakras on your own. You don’t have to see an expensive therapist or buy a pricey tool to do this. Here are several methods that you can use to do some DIY chakra balancing:
Each of the seven chakras is related to a specific color, which can be used to heal that area. Try eating foods in the associated color, visualizing a light in that color filling the area, or using a crystal of the associated color to heal the specific chakra.
- The root chakra, located at the base of the spine, is associated to the color red.
- The sacral chakra, located just beneath the naval, is associated with the color orange.
- The solar plexus chakra, located just above the naval in the stomach area, is associated with the color yellow.
- The heart chakra is associated with the color green.
- The throat chakra is associated with the color blue.
- The third eye chakra, located between the eyes on the forehead, is associated with deep indigo.
- The crown chakra, located in the spiritual plane, but pictured as being at the crown of the head, is associated with the color violet.
Elemental and Sense Method
The chakras are each associated with a specific element or sense that can be used to heal the specific area. For example:
- The root chakra is associated with the earth and our sense of smell. Try using aromatherapy, particularly earthy, herbal scents, to fill this chakra with healing energy.
- The sacral chakra is associated with the element of water, and the sense of taste.
- The solar plexus chakra is associated with the element of fire and the sense of sight. Consider meditating with lit candles, or visualizing a flame, to heal this chakra.
- The heart chakra is associated with the sense of touch, and the element of air.
- The throat chakra is associated with the sense of hearing. Consider calming music, chanting, singing bowels, or other therapies to heal this chakra.
- The third eye chakra is related to the so-called “sixth sense”, but also to light.
By understanding these connections, you can easily tailor a balancing meditation session that engages the correct sense with the correct element to provide healing.
Each of the chakras also connects to a specific ability or faculty of the body. In the same way, crystals have certain meanings that connect to certain abilities, faculties, or states of being. By combining the crystal that promotes the state you want in a certain area or ability, you can balance your chakras in this way. For example:
- The root chakra is associated with our sense of survival and stability. Tiger’s Eye is known for enhancing feelings of stability and support, and is commonly used to balance the root chakra.
- The sacral chakra is associated with creativity and relationships, particularly our passion and joy in our relationships. Amber and other orange crystals are used to heal this chakra.
- The solar plexus chakra relates to our personal feelings of power and growth, as well as the health of our organs. Try yellow stones like citrine.
- The heart chakra relates to our compassion, love, and spiritual wellbeing. Try the classic rose quartz to increase a nurturing, loving kindness in yourself.
- The throat chakra relates to our ability to communicate and to trust others. Use the sodalite to balance this chakra.
- For the spiritual, intuitive clarity of the third eye chakra, use an amethyst to improve mental peace, and to help reduce anxiety.
- For the crown chakra, which relates to our sense of enlightenment and connectivity to the universe, use a clear quartz. This crystal acts as a focus that can bring the entire mind, body, and spirit into harmony.
The best way to perform a DIY chakra balancing may be to combine multiple methods until you’ve found the best solution. If you want to focus on a particular area of your life, such as enhancing your creativity, try focusing on the specific chakra related to that ability. To improve your health and regain overall balance, a total body experience may be in order.