Empathy is an emotional trait inherent in humans that allows us to have the ability to put ourselves into someone else’s shoes and feel what they are feeling. If someone goes through a bad divorce and then later down the line so does their best friend, they will empathise because they’ve been there themselves.
Psychic empathy is much the same as the emotion of empathy, except on a much deeper level. Psychic empaths are born with the ability to be able to step into someone else’s aura, as opposed to their metaphorical shoes, and as a result they are able to explore their feelings and experiences on a much more intimate level. It is a psychic trait that is fulfilled both automatically and unconsciously, and can help the empath to ‘read’ people in every situation.
As one of the most subtle forms of psychic ability, not many people realize that they have psychic empathy at all! Psychic empaths are extremely adaptable to the human condition and are likely to be the one person in a room that people are inexplicably drawn to. They can work a crowd and move around a room effortlessly, tuning into and adapting to each person’s emotional needs as they go. But they can also feel weighed down by the feelings of others, tiring of the constant ebb and flow of an ever changing sea of feelings, as they are drawn in and pushed out by the emotions of everyone they meet.
Could I be a Psychic Empath?
Read through the following statements to see if you could in fact be a psychic empath.
- I feel overwhelmed by the world’s suffering
- I find it difficult to read the news or to watch disturbing real life stories because I can feel the pain of the people involved
- I find it difficult to keep track of my own feelings when I talk to people
- I forget to have fun
- I get self-conscious when I talk to people as I’m constantly aware of the reactions that my words can cause
- I automatically say yes when people ask things of me and then realize that I don’t want to do them once they have walked away
- I always put my own needs last
- I love being with people, but I desperately need my own space
- I find it hard to ‘lighten up’
- I have a deep affinity with animals and/or nature
- I build strong relationships very quickly
- I let relationships get too heavy, too fast
- I’m the one people always turn to when they have problems
- I over-identify with the characters in my favorite books and movies- I know they are not real , but I still feel how they must feel
If more than five of these statements apply to you, there is a strong possibility that you are an untrained psychic empath. You may find the gift manageable, or you may feel overwhelmed by it most of the time. The first step to coping with psychic empathy is recognizing what it is.
What can I do to cope with Psychic Empathy?
Whilst your energy is subconsciously reading people and feeling their feelings, your life can become over-charged with the emotions that are not your own. You may feel like your needs go completely unnoticed and you may spend hours at a time walking around in a daze, unable to focus on any one thing. Psychic empathy can lead to a multitude of self deprecating issues such as people-pleasing and self-sacrifice.
Many spiritual people struggle with emotional separation when they are so in tune on so many different levels and they often find themselves in very draining situations. Learn to take care of yourself by paying closer attention to how you feel in all situations. Make a point to search inside yourself and see how you feel at least once a day. To make sure that you are doing this and not simply looking at others’ feelings, make a diary entry when you are completely alone. This will help you to identify your own emotional voice.